As the law of international arbitration continues to expand and develop, the issues confronted by arbitrators, academics, and practitioners get more complex and specialized. This weekly seminar course on advanced topics in international arbitration seeks to delve into some of these cutting-edge topics in detail. The goal of the course is not only to provide students with information on current controversial topics in international arbitration, but also to give students the analytical tools necessary to tackle other developing issues in the field of international arbitration. The course, which will be divided into four segments detailed below, will cover hot-button issues in both international commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration.
The course will not rely on one set text or case book, but will instead utilize awards and articles that will be provided to the students. Students will be expected to have read all of the materials and be prepared to engage in active discussion in each class. 40% of the students’ grade will be derived from their preparedness and class participation each week. The other 60% will be derived from position papers to be submitted during the last two weeks of the seminar, in preparation for two student debates facilitated by the instructors. As this is a class on questions for which there are few clear answers, there will be no final exam as such.