The purpose of this course is to reinforce and further develop the skills learned in the first-year Legal Practice: Writing and Analysis course, plus introduce new research skills to enhance your legal practice. Topics include secondary sources, case law, statutory law, legislative history, administrative law, dockets and court documents, litigation analytics, transactional law, and company information.
Grading will be based on weekly assignments, attendance and class participation, and an exam at the end of the semester.
Learning Objectives for Professor Concepcion:
- Develop strategies for approaching legal research problems
- Formulate effective search queries
- Evaluate, select, and locate legal resources
- Navigate and use legal resources
- Research under constraints (e.g., time, costs)
- Be familiar with major legal research platforms (Westlaw, Lexis, and Bloomberg Law)